Thursday, June 26, 2008

"Amy, am I a cunt?"

I found a column I've never heard of before called Ask Amy. I think I'll answer one of her questions for her.

Dear Amy:

I am a 14-year-old girl.

A boy in my class recently called me a word that is apparently the "worst word a guy can call a girl." I had not heard it before, but my friend told me what it meant.

It all started when he "accidentally" threw a soft object at my head. In response, I threw it back, but he turned at the wrong moment and it hit him in the eye. I apologized and said it was an innocent mistake.

There was no damage besides the natural stinging an eye would have if hit by something. He stopped talking to me because of it. I thought it was sort of funny that he got so worked up.

I started teasing him about not talking to me by having imaginary "conversations" in front of him. Then I said something along the lines of, "I could insult you and you wouldn't do anything about it." Then I said (not seriously), "Look at your shoes—they have holes in them, they look all old." He responded by calling me the bad word.

How should I react? I don't want him to go around thinking he could get away calling girls this, although it is a word that I don't think he uses regularly. We have always had a love/hate relationship. I am a naturally friendly, funny, happy person—but not a pushover.

Dear Tormenting Hussy:
Yeah, he shouldn't have called you a cunt because it's such a taboo word. But you'll find if you go through life acting like a complete and total cunt, from time to time someone might call you one. Occupational hazard, if you will.

This "love/hate" relationship between you and the boy is obviously barely-contained lust. I'm guessing he'll knock you up before junior prom and you'll pay the "older guy who still hangs out with high school kids" to drive you to Mexico for a quickie abortion so your parents don't find out. The boy will tell everyone at school and you'll have to start hanging out with the goth kids. They'll ask a lot of really invasive questions about the abortion procedure and you'll feel very uncomfortable.

If you want to avoid that future, start throwing things at the eyes of guys who are needy and will put up with your annoying behavior. Guys who'll let a woman walk all over them are a dime a dozen. Happy hunting.

14 comments:

jazzbonejoe said...

I would say that at 14, the ignominious label "cunt" is probably unfair. Which is not to say that, based upon your handling of the situation, that descriptor isn't in the offing. No, at this point in your life, the correct word is probably "coont," a diminutive of the ever-taboo scurrilously aformentioned.

As for the "older guy" advice: I whole-heartedly agree. Start making friends now, for as the price of gas rises, you'll need to be able to call in a serious favor if you want a trip to Mexico, or as it is often called, "God's little blind spot."

Ubermilf said...

so "coont" is like "cunt, jr.?" I never knew. I guess you learn that as a Jr. High teacher.

Beverly said...

how does one get to the age of 14 attending school having never heard the word "cunt"??

i mean i could see if you were home schooled - but i've known kids that go to private schools and good god some of them act worse than the ones in public school so even private school isn't excluded.

btw - i read ask amy every day - along with carolyn hax (also washington post) and prudence on slate. so if you need some REALLY out there questions to answer - take a trek on over to slate and check out "dear prudence"

my favorite was the one from the woman wanting to know what to do about her husband who wants to wear diapers for sexual kicks. whoo boy.

John said...

She could have put his eye out. Which would have been AWESOME!!! Definitely not a cunt.

the chatty daughter of kathy said...

I love you. This is so funny, I was cracking up. Amy is obviously a fatass prude with no friends or she would know by now what a cunt and socked that boy in the face instead of acting like a stupid pussy.

Vast Right Wing Conspirator said...

Let's see. You mock someone, make fun of their clothing, and they call you a cunt. I can't believe it!

Unknown said...

I don't find it difficult to believe that a 14 year old girl is such a cuntwaffle, I do, however, find it difficult to believe she uses commas and parentheses properly. Fuck, I had to edit my little sister's paper for college (!) and it looked like Manuel from Fawlty Towers had tried to write it.

I kind of think these advice columnists make these letters up... which is not to dissuade you from blogging. Seriously, I love it. Write more.

FirstNations said...

I have a deep, primal need to bear your children.

Scarlet Hip said...

I'm with the littleimp - there is no way a 14 year old girl wrote that letter. I think Amy is making up shit to keep her column alive.

Steph said...

Haaaaaahahaha! Love it. I'm gonna stalk your blog.

jesse said...

In reality, the only thing you have to do to make a 14 year old girl cry and sob all the way home, is this: tell her that the Jonas Brothers do not write their own lyrics, and then tell her that at the concert in which she payed $75 a ticket Joe Jonas in fact, did not even glance at her. If you really want to hit her hard; tell her that the Jonas Brothers do not even know she exists. If she is emo, inform that the members of Fall Out Boy are a group of sac and crack loving pansies.

jesse said...

Trust me on this! I'm 14 also! Nobody, hardly ever uses the word "cunt" at school. Everybody does know what it means.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely hate the word 'cunt.' I do not think Amy deserved this type of language since she simply threw back what had been thrown at her! It is really refreshing to know that at least one 14 year old in this world had never heard this ugly word! I wish many more could say the same. I thought it hilarous that the young man 'accidently' threw something at her head; however when she did the same to him, he was the typical boy cry baby! He REACTED instead of RESPONDING the correct way. The insult about his shoes was totally unnecessary since he may have had on the best shoes he owns. In my opinion this is the only thing you should not have said. Now, what should you do? From this point forward, treat him with the same respect that you expect him in which to treat you. Next, forgive yourself since you did not mean to hit his eye. You have already apologized - he can either accept it or not but do not let him disrespect you in the future by calling you the terribly trashy name as 'cunt.'
Becky

Anonymous said...

P.S. Amy
If this young man is a friend, go speak to him privately and the two of you will work it out.
Becky